AFL plugins for XBMC

UPDATE: Plugins now updated and working for the 2013 season!

Whilst being in London, it’s been hard to get my AFL fix. So to keep up with what’s going on, I’ve created two new XBMC plugins: AFL Video and AFL Radio.

AFL Video

You can browse all the latest videos from the AFL web site, including match replays, interviews and highlights.

AFL Video plugin

You have a bunch of channels to choose from, including a team channel. The team channel will list the videos specific to your club.

Cats TV

Match replays are usually available 12-24 hours after the match has been played.

AFL Radio

Unfortunately, you can’t watch the games live without some sort of paid subscription – so the radio streams are the next best thing.

AFL Radio

Just choose the stream you want and away it goes. I’m not sure how stable this will be long term due to how the stream works, but so far so good.

Interestingly, most of the streams work outside of the AFL game calls, but most of the streams are only 64k WMA, so the bit rate is a little low.

Installation

You can grab the latest ZIP files from the Github project download pages for AFL Video and AFL Radio. You can then choose the ZIP files from the XBMC Addon install from Zip file menu option.

These will also be included in the AU CatchUp TV XBMC repository too.

Issues

For any issues, please file a bug at issue tracker and please include a copy of your XBMC log file.

Posted in Personal by Andy Botting at April 8th, 2012.

90 Responses to “AFL plugins for XBMC”

1. Ed says:

Hi Andy,

Been following your updates on github.

Since version 0.2, the plugin crashes when I try to play a video. Not getting anything in the xbmc.log. Is there any way to turn on debugging for this addon?

I’m using the pulse-eight pvr packages (Eden) on a Ubuntu install.

Cheers,

Ed

2. Andy Botting says:

Hi Ed,

I did notice that I had a dependency missing with the Video plugin, which I’ve now fixed. Do you still get this problem with v0.4?

The only thing I can recommend is to maybe put the whole xbmc.log file into pastebin and send me the log.

cheers,

Andy

3. Ed says:

Hi Andy,

Yes, I am using 0.4, and have tried 0.3 and 0.2.

I have now tested it on several XMBC installs and it only fails on one:

2:11.0-pvr+p8~pre-natty-git20120402.0b73bfc-0ubuntu1~stable73~lucid
    deb http://packages.pulse-eight.net/ubuntu lucid stable

I have just determined that the crashes have nothing to do with your plugin. XBMC has just crashed when playing the downloaded stream as a normal video, but here is the crashlog anyway:

Thanks for your work on this and the other xbmc plugins!

Cheers,

Ed

4. Andy Botting says:

Thanks Ed for letting me know. It does seem strange for XBMC to crash, but I guess you’re probably a funny PVR build?

5. Ed says:

Andy,

Yes, I am running PVR builds on all devices.

ION based on XBMC Live with pulse-eight packages
    ION OpenElec with PVR
    ATV OpenElec
    Windoze PVR from Pulse Eight
    Ubuntu Lucid Thinkpad X301 Same xbmc packages as first.
    Mac Mini PVR Pulse Eight

Hmmmm. I should probably tell Lars/Pulse Eight :)

Thanks again,

Ed

6. Kane says:

Running 0.4 on ATV2, works perfectly. Not having pay tv means I don’t get to see my team play every week and this is perfect.

Thanks heaps

Kane

7. Kagenoshin says:

Hey

I tested this addon on my openelec-ion system, which doesn’t work. So I tested it on my windows pc with xbmc eden. There it did run out of the box. So my question, does it only works for xbmc eden or also for dharma? (or perhaps there is a problem with openelec)

would be really great if I could watch the games on the tv.

Lg Kage

8. Andy Botting says:

@Kagenoshin They’ve not been tested much on Dharma. If you could send me some log outputs, I’d be happy to try and work on a fix for you.

9. Kagenoshin says:

hey that would be great, but i really don’t know which log file you need:(

I have the following files on my pc:
    -messages
    -auth
    -Xorg.0.0.log
    -pm-powersave.log
    -wtmp
    then I have the following folders:
    -samba
    -ConsoleKit (with a file named history)

sry this is the first time I need a log
    (or do I have to generate a log file by myself?)
    sry I really have no clue :(

10. Andy Botting says:

For Linux, your log file will be located at ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

The ~ is a helper for your home directory (e.g. /home/username).

11. Kagenoshin says:

omg that was fast xD
    ok i take a look

12. Kagenoshin says:

this is the log file :)

thx a lot for your help and your greate addon

13. scott says:

does this work with xbmc4xbox?

14. Andy Botting says:

@scott
    This probably needs some love before it’ll work with xbmc4xbox. Unfortunately xbmc4xbox uses an old version of XBMC which (from memory) doesn’t support the new Addon stuff.

I did get it working once by hacking out all the new addon-specific bits, but I’m in London and my XBOX is in Melbourne, so I can’t help you right now unfortunately.

15. Kagenoshin says:

hey andy
    I have now xbmc eden running and this addon is really great.

thx a lot!!!

16. Craig Price says:

Hi Andy, Your plugin rocks. Thanks muchly :)

17. MediaGeorge says:

Hi Andy,

I’m trying out a few of your plugins, AFL, Plus 7, etc. and having mixed results on a Windows build with Eden + PVR. Before I go any further in my testing just wanted to check if there’s anything already known about that I can try? (or point me to the best place to search for answers)

On AFL (v0.6) I see the games and can select them, when I hit play it just sits there thinking and I have to hard-close XBMC and start again.

Plus 7 (v1.0) is a similar issue except I get slightly further… I see a dialog saying “opening stream” and then an error saying “Blocked attempt to play content (I can play it if I go to Plus 7 in a browser)

ABC iView seems fine

Incidentally I’m also having problems with Ten and SBS plugins by adammw111 – though the errors are quite different (complain about missing addon.py)… Not asking you for help on these just thought I’d mention incase it’s somehow relevant to your plugins?

Hoping I can gt them all working – really apprecaite you sharing all this with everyone!

Thanks

18. Andy says:

@MediaGeorge:

My test setup is mainly Linux systems, so I can’t really comment much on Windows. I have vague memories of someone mentioning that the PVR stuff didn’t work well with my plugins.. but I’m unsure.

Having to hard close XBMC would indicate some low-level problem, which probably isn’t any fault of my plugin code. It’s more likely some issue within XBMC itself. Logs might prove useful for debugging.

The Plus 7 one sounds unusual too. I’m in London now, so debugging is hard (I have to VPN to AU) but I’ve not usually seen a problem with this. You don’t have any funky VPN tunnels or unblocking services, do you?

So the Ten and SBS plugins are basically broken. Adammw111 hasn’t updated them in quite a while, but have a Google for bob_gob. He’s made new versions which I think are working, although from memory, the ten plugin is super low quality and hardly worth watching.

cheers

19. Matt Taggart says:

Dear Andy, i noticed while on Google Play, you have designed some apps, are they for Australia? because i have an idea for an app but unsure how to make them, i wish to speak to you about possible partnership to design and develop this life saving app i have thought of

20. Liam says:

In matches Rd21 Haw V GCFC (Q4) is missing, and in Rd20 Rich v WB (Q3) is missing as well. Can you please fix this.

21. Liam says:

Dear Andy,

In matches Rd21 Haw V GCFC (Q4) is missing, and in Rd20 Rich v WB (Q3) is missing as well. Can you please fix this? Well if this isn’t a problem caused from your side can you please help me out on fixing this problem?

22. Andy says:

@Liam I have no control over the results unfortunately. If they don’t show up, it’s because the service didn’t list them.

23. jdump says:

Just dropping by to say thanks for this fantastic addon! What A pity I discovered it so close to the end of the season :P !

24. Andy Botting says:

Cheers jdump. Always next season ;)

25. Mark says:

Hi Andy,
    Love this plugin but after upgrading to the latest raspbmc the plugin will load then stop. It freezes at 50% loaded (whatever menu item i choose) then I have to shut down xbmc, any ideas?

26. Great work Andy! I am also a fan of AFL and have set up a site that fans of the code might enjoy. I will let my friends kids know about your plugin for XBMC. Cheers mate!!

27. Wamphyr1 says:

Hi Andy,
    Seems like the AFL Video plugin is not working anymore. Could you please have a look at it when you’re free. Much appreciated. Cheers!!

28. AussieOkie says:

Andy,

Yes, please, when you get time, I am going to need my AFL fix….plugin is not working.
    Thanks mate I really appeciate it.

29. Adam says:

Hey Andy,

The match replays seem to have stopped working. I can watch all the Brisbane Lions videos but none of the match replays?

Thanks for all the hard work!

Adam.

30. cc says:

hi afl plugin not working was working about 3 weeks ago but now it gets to 40% finding vid then stops. using frodo on aptv2 have just put eden back on and still the same any help would be great as i dont want to miss the dogs flog ess rd 1

31. Chris says:

Me too! From the xbmc log it looks like this is the problem:

WARNING: CreateLoader – Unsupported protocol(javascript:var w=window.open(‘http) in javascript:var w=window.open(‘http:

Perhaps is it not parsing the URL correctly?

PS Thanks for all the hard work with this plugin. A life saver.

32. Andy says:

Hi all,

I’ve been on holiday the last couple of weeks, so I’ve only briefly looked into the plugin issues.

Looks like Telstra/AFL have made some fundamental changes to their service, so at least in the short term, this isn’t going to work any more.

When I get some time, I’ll investigate further and update you all.

Thanks

33. AussieOkie says:

Andy,
    Thanks mate, we expats neeeeeed our footy fix, go Saints

Paul

34. Aussie Expat says:

Andy,

I really hope you’ll be able to get this up and running for season 2013, many aussies overseas will love this…

Do you think I’m going to need a vee-pn to run the add-in?

35. Aussie Expat says:

Andy,

C’mon man, we are less than 1 week away from footy season action and I am waiting with baited breath for your expertise to save me.

;)

36. AussieOkie says:

I second that :-)

37. Andy says:

It seems that it might only be possible if you PAY for a subscription to the new mobile service. (e.g. $89 for the season)

Would you be still be interested?

38. Kagenoshin says:

Yeah I would still be interested (although I hope this would also work with the season pass from afltv.afl.com.au for 120$, because I already have one :) )

Greets Kage

39. AussieOkie says:

If that’s what it takes…..

40. Kagenoshin says:

Hi Andy,

I think it won’t work with the pass I have. Thus I’m writing a plugin myself:)
    I’ll let you know, if I have some success.:)

Kage

41. Magnus says:

Hi,

In account for a workmate I found this addon for AFL that he wanted. Although using XBMC 12.1 on win and on android none of the videos play, just buffering, saying “playing video” and the back to video list again.

Is this XBMC version related or is it restrictions to the source site.
    I am very interested in knowing if there are any updates planned that could resolve this.

If so I will be able to persuade my colleague to get a raspberry pi with raspbmc :-)

Rgds
    Magnus

42. Magnus says:

Me again…

I can play some panel shows but nothing else.

Rgds (again)
    Magnus

43. Bolter says:

Having problems with your AFL Radio plugin, I am running XBMC 12.1 for windows and none of the stations work anymore.
    Any ideas?

44. Aussie Expat says:

Does the AFL pass give good enough quality to stream onto a big screen tv?

I am not keen on paying for watching pixellated buffering football.

I may just have to listen on the radio and watch the replay match a week later

45. James W says:

Would be very interested, as also have 2013 season pass, but like to be able to watch from appletv (xbmc) without hooking up laptop.

46. Andy says:

Good news! I’ve managed to find a way to get access to the game replays in a similar way to before.

I’ve got it basically working as an XBMC plugin, but I still have some work left before it’s really finished.

Only issue is that it’ll only work within Australia, or with an Aussie VPN or proxy setup (sorry).

If anyone would like a copy of my work-in-progress plugin, let me know, and I’ll email you a ZIP file of it.

I’ve also been in contact with someone who has made an XBMC plugin for AFLTV for those living abroad. It’ll require a subscription to the AFLTV web site though.

cheers

47. Elliott says:

Hey Andy,

Great work on the plugins!

As mentioned above, I’d love if you could email me the work-in-progress XBMC plugin for the AFL one you have been working on.

Cheers

48. Adam says:

Hey Andy – I’d also love it I’d you were able to email the zip of your new plug in. Thank you so much for all your hard work on this. I owe you!

Adam.

49. Scott says:

Andy,
    Could you also email me a copy?
    Thanks
    Scott

50. Wamphyr1 says:

Hi Andy, thks for you hard work. Can you pls send me a copy as well. Cheers!
    Regards!